Top Tips and Safety Precautions
Candles are meant to be enjoyed, but it is important that you care for your candle and follow some commonsense safety rules when burning them. Just follow these tips and your candle will love you back.
The First Burn is the Most Important. When you light your candle for the first time, always allow the wax to burn so that it melts across the entire surface to the edges and pools to the edges of the container. This will effectively assist in preventing tunneling and help promote an even burn for the duration of the candle's life.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. Extinguish all candles when you leave a room or before going to sleep. If your candle contains flowers or herbs this point is especially important to take note of. As the wax melts the flowers and herbs can move closer to the wick and in some cases catch alight. If this occurs don't panic, extinguish your candle and with care relocate the flowers or herbs to the outer edge of your candle.
- Follow the 2-foot rule - don't place a burning candle within two feet of clothing, books, curtains or anything flammable.
- Keep lit candles away from draughts, ceiling fans and any air currents. Any form of air current can cause uneven burning, smoking, diminish the scent throw and even decrease the burn time.
- The best way to light a wooden wick is to tilt the candle on an angle and let the flame draw across the length of the wick (Like how you tilt a match after lighting).
- Keep your wood wick trimmed to about 0.5mm after each use, and clean off any burnt wood from previous use.
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Place candle holders on a stable, heat-resistant surface that is sturdy and large enough to catch any melted wax.
- Place burning candles at least 10cm apart from one another.
- A burning candle should not be used as a nightlight.
- A candle should not be burned for more than four hours at a time.
- For safety reasons stop using your candle once there is 2cm of wax left in the bottom of the jar.
- Do not burn the candle if the container is cracked, chipped, scratched or damaged in any way.
General Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy and completeness, no guarantee is given nor responsibility taken by Sass and Whiskey Collective for errors or omissions in this information and Sass and Whiskey Collective does not accept responsibility in respect of any information or advice given in relation to or as a consequence of anything contained above. The above information is issued by Sass and Whiskey Collective for guidance only and we acknowledge that other important precautions may be applicable and that are not contained in this document. Therefore we take no liability for the information contained above in any way, shape or form. If you are not sure on any of the information provided please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.